Welcome to the Qigong Research Society Water Fasting Class. This fast is lead by Master Faxiang Hou and lasts 72 hours. The classes are held three times a year, during the first week of January, June and October. Classes meet in the evenings from Thursday to Saturday and on Sunday at noon. During the fast participants will learn about the Qigong medical theory, perform group fasting exercises and discuss any concerns/symptoms they are experiencing. Try to attend all of the fasting classes. It is important for Master Hou to monitor your progress. You will also will benefit from the energy of the group.
Break The Fast
Important- Read this section carefully
When you break the fast you will first: blanche 1 Ib of kale (per person) in a small amount of water for 30 seconds. Eat this first before you have the soup. 2 or more hours after the kale you may have your first bowl of soup.
- You will only have the soup for as many days as you fasted. For example, if you fasted with water for only 3 days, you will only have the soup for your meals for 3 days. For the first day only have a 1/2 cup of soup every 4 hours. On day 2-3, you may increase the portions to 1 cup.
- Use small amount of fresh fruit for snacking.
- Do not use nuts, oil, eggs, dairy or animal products for as many days as you fasted.
- Do not eat too many starches; focus on a variety of vegetables.
- In the soup, as a general rule, use green vegetables with small amounts of grains like wheat rice and millet for as many days as you fasted. A small amount pasta or corn may also be included in the soup.
- On day 4, you may gradually add salads, beans and starches to your diet.
Q & A
Will I be able to work and drive during the fast?
Yes, most people continue all their normal activities. You may move a little slower but you will be able to keep up your normal routine. Many people have increased levels of energy and accomplish more during a fast. Remember, you are not taking time to eat, so that gives you 2-3 extra hours each day.
What are the benefits of Qigong fasting?
There are many, but the most important one is relief from a variety of chronic ailments. People also report feeling calmer, lighter and more energized. As a general rule, the more fasts you do, the more results you will experience.
I am already too skinny, will I lose a lot of weight?
Do not worry about this. You may lose some weight during fasting, but you may gain some of it back. If you are a very thin person you will maintain your optimum weight level. Fasting is not about weight loss, it is about purifying the body. This can be accomplished by cleansing the blood and organs of toxins.
I am addicted to caffeine. Will I get a headache?
Some people may get a headache when they go off caffeine suddenly. Do not worry about this. This is a normal reaction.
What if I am on medication?
Most people go off medication during a fast unless you are the recipient of an organ donor. If, however, you are concerned about a particular health issue or medication you can contact Master Hou at his office before the fast and he will advise you. If you have any concerns during the fast Master Hou is available 24/7.